- Benefits of Diversity
- Assumptions & Stereotypes
- Conscious and Unconscious Stereotypes
- “Busting” Stereotypes
- Bias, Hate Incidents, Hate Crimes
- Students will be able to define diversity and explain the benefits of a diverse community.
- Students will self-evaluate their own pre-judgments and stereotypes.
- Students will learn ways to challenge stereotypes.
- Students will understand how empathy can reduce biases.
STANDARDS/PERFORMANCE INDICATORS MET WITH VIDEO & LESSON PLANS:
National Health Education Standards – Performance Indicators:
- 3.8.2: Access valid health information from home, school, and community
- 6.8.2: Develop a goal to adopt, maintain, or improve a personal health practice
- 8.8.1: State a health-enhancing position on a topic and support it with accurate information
National English/Language Arts Standards Met:
- NL-ENG.K-12.4 COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Students adjust their use of spoken, written, and visual language (e.g., conventions, style, vocabulary) to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and for different purposes
- NL-ENG.K-12.7 EVALUATING DATA: Students conduct research on issues and interests by generating ideas and questions, and by posing problems. They gather, evaluate, and synthesize data from a variety of sources (e.g., print and non-print texts, artifacts, people) to communicate their discoveries in ways that suit their purpose and audience
- NL-ENG.K-12.8 DEVELOPING RESEARCH SKILLS: Students use a variety of technological and information resources (e.g., libraries, databases, computer networks, video) to gather and synthesize information and to create and communicate knowledge
- NL-ENG.K-12.12 APPLYING LANGUAGE SKILLS: Students use spoken, written, and visual language to accomplish their own purposes (e.g., for learning, enjoyment, persuasion, and the exchange of information
Common Core English/Language Arts Standards Met:
- W.5.7: Conduct short research projects that use several sources to build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic
- SL.5.4: Report on a topic or text or present an opinion, sequencing ideas logically and using appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details to support main ideas or themes; speak clearly at an understandable pace
ACTIVITIES AND ASSIGNMENTS
|Respect Diversity Digital Instruction||35m|
|SUPPLEMENTAL LESSON PLANS:|
|Advocate for Healthy Relationships - Poster Project||45m|
|Being an Ally||45m|
|Belonging to Many Groups||60m|
|Honoring Those Affected by Hate||45m|
|Stereotypes and Gender||45m|
|Who am I? An Intro to Diversity||30m|
|Video Assessment Worksheet for “Respect Diversity” video||15m|